Wednesday 29 April 2009

Braised Lettuce - modified by Vee

NUTRITIONAL INFO AT THE BOTTOM!

So, this is basically just telling you all how I made my Braised Lettuce and what quantities I used. The Braised Lettuce by K recipe is the basic recipe my friend gave me, without amounts because, you can put in as much of whatever you want. But, here's what I used.

1/3 of a medium onion (approx), chopped
1 large clove of garlic, crushed/finely chopped (if you're using smaller cloves it would be 2 or 3. This mother was huge but made it taste amazing, and I love garlic)
1 head of baby gem lettuce, chopped
1 stalk of celery, halved lengthwise and then chopped
1/4 of a Green Bell Pepper, diced
4 Spring Onions, chopped
A pinch of dried Basil and Parsley, Sea Salt, and a dash of Tobasco
1 Chicken Stock Cube
Water

So the order I did this in was similar to the way K laid it out, but here you go:

1. Put the garlic and onions in your pan or pot (I used a pot rather than a frying pan, to make it easier when I added water) and fry gently until softened and yellowed. If you need too, add a little margarine to stop it from sticking to the pan.

2. Smells amazing, doesn't it?? Add the lettuce to the pot, along with the celery and green pepper (as these take a while to cook).

3. After letting it sit for a minute, stir through and then add your chicken stock and enough water to cover the lettuce. I crushed the stock cube over the lettuce and then added the water, but found that I still had a little bit of stock that hadn't dissolved. So I'd recommend mixing the stock in a cup of boiling water, adding that to the pot, and then topping up with some more water if you need to.

4. Add the rest of the ingredients (herbs, spring onion, salt and pepper or other seasonings, and a splash of Tobasco if you want to use it. I added a few drops and it didn't make it spicy, but the flavour was amazing). Stir together, cover and let simmer for a while, until everything is warmed through and the harder ingredients (like celery) have softened a bit. I left mine around 10 minutes, I think, but it could have been left for 20. The stock will also reduce slightly, mm.

5. Serve!

These amounts made around 2 bowls worth, so I'll have to adjust my amounts next time to make less (So there's less wasteage. It would feel like too much of a binge to have two big bowls of soup, and I was pretty full after 1 so no need for extra).

But again, adjust according to how much you want to eat. I've tried this now and it was amazing. I might make some tonight or Friday again so I'll try to take some step by step photographs for you all =]

I'm going to go figure out exactly how many calories are in one bowl, hang on.

NUTRITIONAL INFO : Nutrition Grade A
Serving Size: 106g
Calories Per Serving: 33
Calroies From Fat: 4
Total Fat: 0.5g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 15mg
Total Carbohydrates: 6.7g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2g
Sugars: 2.6g
Protein: 1.4g

Percentage of Daily Guidelines (based on a 2000kcal diet, lawl)
Vitamin A: 49%
Vitamin C: 56%
Calcium: 4%
Iron: 5%
Fat: 1%
Cholesterol: 0%
Sodium: 1%
Total Carbs: 2%
Dietary Fiber: 9%

Finally, I've added it to the Calorie Count Recipe thing so you can quickly add it to your daily totals if you use that website to track your calories. I put in that it makes two servings, as mine made two decent bowls-worth.

Braised Lettuce Info on CalorieCount

2 comments:

  1. omg.
    i love you to death for posting all this informational stuff

    im so trying this one =]

    XOXO Sophia Ruins <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe no problemo girl!

    Let me know how yours turns out if you try it! <3

    It sounded weird when I first heard of it but oh god it tasted fabulous, and only 33 calories per bowl! I'm in looove!

    Vee xx

    ReplyDelete